top of page


Max's Life Changing No Salt Bread

2 pounds of organic, unbleached flour.

1 packet of instant dried yeast.

2 tablespoons of organic maple syrup.

2 tablespoons of organic white grape vinegar.

3 cups of hot water.

Place the flour in a mixing bowl, add the dried yeast and mix with your dough hook or hand whisk.

In a separate bowl, place 3 cups of hot water, but make sure it’s not over 110 degrees. Remember to take out 4 tablespoons that you’ll be replacing with the maple syrup and balsamic vinegar. The amount of liquid is critical, so please measure carefully.

Start your machine, or if you’re making the dough by hand, add the liquid into a pre formed depression in the middle of the flour. Using either your hands or a wooden flat spatula, begin the mixing process.

Once the dough is thoroughly mixed, cover the bowl and put it on top of your fridge, or the highest point you can find inside. Cover with a towel and let it rise for at least two hours.

It should have almost doubled in size and be full of lovely air bubbles. Be nice to them. They’re your best mates when making bread. If the bowel doesn’t have a lid, use plastic wrap, making sure it’s tight. Now stick in the fridge and leave it for at least 24 hours. It’ll last for up to seven days, developing more a yeasty/sour dough flavor.


When you’re ready to make some of this incredible bread, flour up a cutting board and cut a thin sliver of butter to grease up your hands. Why do this? Because it’ll prevent the dough from sticking to your hands. Form it into a long loaf or whatever shape you prefer, and transfer a piece of parchment paper.


Clean the cutting board, carefully slide the loaf on and place on top of your fridge, cover with a couple of paper towels and let it rise over the next hour to an hour and a half. Turn the oven onto 450, about 45 minutes before you’re ready to baking. This ensures even heat, especially good if you have a pizza stone.

Put 6 ice cubes into a measuring cup. Carefully remove the paper towels from the now risen dough and pulling it by the parchment paper, slide it back onto the cutting board. Open the over and place in on the center rack or pizza stone. Toss the ice cubes into the bottom of the oven and quickly close the door. The steam that’s generated aids in forming the crust. Set your timer to twenty-five minutes. If the color is light golden brown and the toothpick or knife comes out a little smeary, it’ll need another seven to ten minutes. Place on a wire rack, and leave to cool for an hour. Then slice, add lashings of organic, unsalted butter and enjoy.

bottom of page